For those who’re planning a visit to Finland in winter, you is perhaps contemplating together with a keep in a glass igloo throughout your time there. If that’s the case, we needed to share our ideas on Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort, which was the unique glass igloo resort in Finland.
While there are actually many glass igloo lodges in Finland, Kakslauttanen stays one of the vital well-known and likewise one of the vital fashionable. For those who’ve seen pictures of individuals searching of glass igloos in Lapland with the Northern Lights dancing within the sky above them, these had been most likely taken right here.
Though open year-round, it’s a significantly fashionable vacation spot within the winter. Along with the glass igloos, the Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort additionally provides a variety of actions, the chance to fulfill Santa, a number of different distinctive lodging choices and plenty extra moreover.
On this overview, we’re going to let you know the whole lot you might want to know to determine if it’s value together with in your journey to Finland. This overview is predicated on our personal keep at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort in a glass igloo, which we paid for ourself.
We additionally supply alternate options to the Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort, together with different lodges that supply glass igloos in Finnish Lapland, in addition to different distinctive Finnish lodging choices akin to snow lodges, ice lodges, and even actual handmade snow igloos.
We’d counsel studying this publish along side a few of our different posts, together with our Finland winter itinerary, our strategies for winter actions in Finland, and our Finland winter packing record. These ought to totally put together you for visiting Finland in winter!
The place is Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort?
Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort is in northern Finland, 10km (6 miles) south of the resort village of Saariselkä. It’s 241 km (150 miles) north of the Arctic Circle.
The deal with is Kiilopääntie 9, 99830 Saariselkä, Finland.
How To Get to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort
Regardless of being in a distant a part of Finland, Kakslauttanen is pretty straightforward to get to for guests to Lapland.
Attending to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort by Automobile
If you’re self-driving in Finland, then there are good highway connections. This was how I received to Kakslauttanen, driving from Rovaniemi.
The drive from Rovaniemi takes round 3 hours (it’s 247km / 147 miles) and the highway is nice. There’s plenty of parking on web site which is free.
If you’re ranging from Helsinki or elsewhere in southern Finland, I’d advise in opposition to driving from Helsinki to Kakslauttanen because it’s a great distance. You might be higher off flying or taking the practice as much as the Lapland space from Helsinki as a substitute.
Attending to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort by Aircraft
The closest airport to Kakslauttanen Arctic resort is Ivalo (IVL) airport. This airport provides flight connections to Helsinki, in addition to some worldwide locations.
Ivalo airport is a 30-minute drive away, and the Kakslauttanen resort provides a shuttle switch choice should you’d favor to not drive. This prices round €29 per individual and must be booked prematurely. There are additionally taxis out there on the airport.
Attending to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort by Public Transport
There’s additionally the choice to take public transport to Kakslauttanen. Buses from Rovaniemi cease on the resort, with the journey taking round three hours. Finland has a superb bus community. We’ve taken a number of buses in Finland and have had optimistic experiences. You possibly can see bus schedules right here.
The closest practice station to Kakslauttanen is technically Kemijärvi, however you’ll be higher off taking the practice to Rovaniemi after which taking both the bus to Kakslauttanen or renting a automotive.
Lodging Choices at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort
You haven’t any scarcity of selection on the subject of lodging at Kakslauttanen. The principle choices you could have are as follows.
- Cabin / Chalet. Out there in quite a lot of sizes, the smallest cabins are essentially the most cost-effective lodging choice at Kakslauttanen. The cabins are made out of logs, and have a sauna, kitchenette, en-suite rest room with bathe, and a log hearth.
- Glass Igloo. Maybe essentially the most well-known lodging choice, these igloos provide you with gorgeous nearly 360-degree views of the evening sky. They’re excellent for viewing the Northern Lights in case you have a transparent sky and a show is energetic. Each small and enormous igloos can be found. The small igloos have a rest room and kettle however no bathe and might sleep as much as 3 adults, while the massive igloos even have a bathe and might sleep as much as 5 adults.
- Kelo-Glass Igloo. It is a intelligent development which takes the practicality and luxury of a log cabin, and provides on a glass igloo bed room space for 2 individuals. They sleep as much as six and have a non-public sauna, hearth, rest room, and kitchenette.
- Marriage ceremony Chamber. These earth lodges with turf roofs characteristic a double mattress and a toilet with bathtub
- Gold Digger Cabin – discovered on the banks of the river round 10 minutes from the reception space, these are a extra secluded chalet with room for as much as 4 company
- Queen Suite – it is a high-end luxurious choice with room for 2 company and one youngster. It contains VIP service with inclusive personal airport transfers, baggage service, welcome basket, each day hearth service and each day cleansing. There’s a double mattress, deluxe rest room with an indoor bathtub, and an outside jacuzzi.
You is perhaps questioning which lodging choice we’d suggest. If you’re solely staying for one evening, we’d counsel both the glass igloo or Kelo Glass igloo.
The glass igloos are positively essentially the most distinctive choice and we positively loved the particular expertise of sleeping in a glass igloo beneath the Arctic sky. We additionally actually loved the electrical adjustable beds within the igloos. Nonetheless, we’d usually solely suggest the glass igloos for these planning to remain two nights or much less relatively than an extended keep. The small area, lack of privateness, and shared showers (for the small igloos) are some drawbacks.
For these staying for greater than 2 nights, our suggestion is to both e-book a Kelo Glass Igloo for the complete keep, which supplies you the most effective of each worlds. Or to spend one or two nights of your keep in a glass igloo and the rest in a log chalet.
The Kelo Glass igloo can be our suggestion to avoid wasting you from switching, however they’re a bit costlier in comparison with doing a log cabin and glass igloo mixture, so it’s as much as you. Additionally, while you get an analogous expertise to the glass igloo, the view just isn’t fairly as immersive because it backs onto a chalet, relatively than being out within the open.
For these extra concerned about privateness and desirous to be away from others, I’d think about the Gold Digger Cabins.
You possibly can learn latest opinions by vacationers who’ve stayed in every of those various kinds of rooms right here.
How A lot Does Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort Value?
Pricing for Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort varies relying on two components.
First, the kind of lodging you select will have an effect, from small log cabins as much as the massive kelo-glass igloos and queen suites.
Second, the time of yr you go to will have an effect on the value. There are three important seasons.
The summer season season runs from the start of June to the top of October, and tends to have the bottom costs. Costs begin at round €122 for a double occupancy cabin, or €285 for a double occupancy small glass igloo.
Subsequent is the winter shoulder season, which covers the beginning of November after which March by means of April. Costs within the winter shoulder season begin at round €348 for a double occupancy cabin, or €375 for a double occupancy small glass igloo.
The costliest time to go to Kakslauttanen is the height winter season which runs from the twenty eighth November by means of to the top of February. That is the most well-liked time to go to, and the time the place you usually tend to have snow coated landscapes and an opportunity to see the northern lights.
At the moment of yr, costs begin at round €415 for a double occupancy cabin, or €417 for a double occupancy small glass igloo.
Costs embody taxes in addition to half board, which consists of a buffet breakfast and a three-course dinner. It doesn’t embody lunch or a each day room cleansing service, each of which price additional. Different providers like actions, firewood, airport transfers and baggage transfers are additionally not included and have to be paid for individually.
Word that Kakslauttanen usually closes in spring throughout the whole month of Could.
After I stayed, I booked by means of reserving.com and you’ll see costs to your dates and occasion measurement right here.
Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort East or West Village
One choice it would be best to make prematurely of your go to is whether or not you wish to keep on the east or west village.
Initially, Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort was present in one location, which is in the present day generally known as the East Village. That is, because the title suggests, to the east of the principle freeway. It consists of 20 of the unique small glass igloos in addition to log cabins of various sizes. There are additionally Queen Suites and the earth made Marriage ceremony Chamber.
There’s additionally bathe amenities for the igloos, a sauna, a big restaurant, and a visitor reception space situated within the East Village.
The West Village is newer, and is about 4km away from the East Village. It’s a must to drive south down the principle highway in direction of Rovaniemi after which out on the west village highway. There’s additionally a free shuttle bus service between the 2 villages that company can use, which runs on request and takes round ten to fifteen minutes between the 2 villages.
The West Village is way bigger than the East Village, and has completely different lodging choices. That is the place you’ll discover the Kelo Glass Igloos, in addition to each small and enormous glass igloos. There are additionally cabins and gold digger cabins.
The West Village additionally has an commentary tower, an igloo roofed bar, a big restaurant, a planetarium, saunas, Santa’s village, plenty of reception areas and extra eating places for group bookings. All of the actions at Kakslauttanen are additionally situated on the west village.
The igloos are the identical design at each villages (though the west village has the choice of a bigger igloo with a bathe). Nonetheless, they’re a bit nearer collectively on the west village, and they’re out within the open relatively than surrounded by bushes. This provides higher viewing of the evening sky, however may really feel a bit much less cosy. Listed below are some photographs evaluating the 2 to provide you an concept of what I imply.
In both location, it is very important realise that there can be some inevitable mild air pollution, so while you’ll be able to after all see the evening sky and any Northern Lights, it gained’t be fairly as excellent as should you had been out in the midst of nowhere with no man-made lights seen.
After I visited, I opted for the east village. This was for a couple of causes. First, being smaller, it was much less busy. It additionally felt extra conventional and fewer spaced out, being straightforward to stroll in all places. I cherished the thought of a glass igloo tucked away within the forest and the smaller scale which truly felt like a village. The igloos are additionally a bit extra spaced out.
While there have been no actions or amenities just like the artwork gallery and planetarium of the west village, I used to be capable of leap on a shuttle bus to the west village and reap the benefits of these amenities if I needed to.
The west village is best in order for you easy accessibility to extra amenities just like the funky glass roofed bar, and maybe desire a extra social expertise total as there are going to be extra individuals about. It’s additionally a superb choice if you’re planning on doing a number of actions as they largely begin right here. If you’re visiting as a household and wish to minimise issues like shuttle bus time, it is a good choice.
Your lodging selection will even partly dictate the place you keep. If you would like a small glass igloo, you’ll be able to keep at both village. If you would like a big glass igloo or Kelo glass igloo, you may be on the west village. If you would like a Queen suite or earth lodge, these are solely on the east village.
Another choice is to spend an evening at each villages by selecting completely different types of lodging, though I’d suggest staying at one village to your complete keep in order to not lose time which you may be utilizing for enjoyable actions!
Eating at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort
Once you e-book to remain at Kakslauttanen, your keep will embody a three-course a-la-carte dinner in addition to a buffet breakfast. Drinks should not included, aside from espresso, tea and juice with breakfast. Usually you’d have your meals on the important restaurant in your village (the West Village Aurora restaurant or the East Village Kelo restaurant).
You possibly can prepare nonetheless prepare to dine on the restaurant within the different village to the place you’re staying if you wish to attempt completely different environment for one in every of your nights. Teams even have the choice of reserving in both of the eating places.
The meals could be very a lot within the conventional Laplandic type, so anticipate issues like hearty soups, reindeer meat, potatoes, lingonberry sauce, and fish. When you have any dietary necessities or preferences, it would be best to let the resort know prematurely to make sure you may be catered for.
Breakfast is a buffet type primarily that includes chilly meats and cheeses, bread and cereals, in addition to pickled greens and fish. There are additionally generally sizzling objects like scrambled eggs.
I loved all of the meals I had at Kakslauttanen. There was not an enormous selection on the menu, but it surely was hearty and engaging.
Lunch can also be out there on the two eating places, though it’s not included within the worth of your keep. This is smart as lots of people spend the day participating in actions, and lots of of those actions embody some type of packed lunch or different meals. Nonetheless, should you aren’t doing an exercise with an included meal, then you’ll be able to have a meal at one of many on-site eating places.
Lastly, in order for you a extra particular meal, you’ll be able to e-book a particular Lappish dinner. This does have an additional price.
Actions Out there at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort
Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort provides a number of various kinds of actions and experiences that you may e-book. Some happen on the resort itself and a few happen elsewhere within the native space. A few of these like particular Lappish dinners, the planetarium, Sami museum visits, and smoke saunas, are usually out there year-round however many are seasonal or weather-dependent.
A pleasant factor about Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort is that you are able to do most of the fashionable summer season actions in Finland and winter actions in Finland on web site.
In summer season, the next actions are often out there to e-book (word that a few of these can be climate dependent):
- Midnight Solar excursions
- Horseback Using
- Canoeing and Rafting
- Visits to Sami museum
- Farm visits
- Gold panning
In winter, the next actions are often out there to e-book (word that a few of these can be climate / snow dependent):
- Nordic Snowboarding and Snowshoeing (gear rental in addition to instruction is offered)
- Husky Safari
- Reindeer Safaris
- Horse Sleigh Rides
- Horseback Rides
- Snowmobile Safari. Varied choices can be found, together with an in a single day journey and aurora looking
- Snow tank experience. Additionally the choice to go aurora looking within the snow tank
- Ice fishing
- Santa Claus visits
- Aurora looking excursions
- Downhill snowboarding and snowboarding at close by ski space
Pricing for all these actions could be discovered on the web site. Some must be booked prematurely of your go to, so I’d positively advise reserving something you wish to do earlier than you arrive to keep away from disappointment. Worth smart, I’d say that almost all of the actions are on just about on par with reserving the actions wherever else in Finland.
What are the Probabilities of Seeing the Northern Lights at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort?
Finnish Lapland is among the greatest locations to see the Northern Lights, or aurora borealis, on earth in the course of the winter months. Nonetheless, the probabilities to see the Northern Lights at Kakslauttanen are going to fluctuate vastly relying on the month, season, climate, and yr as aurora exercise could be very unpredictable.
You want a mix of sturdy photo voltaic wind exercise, good native climate, clear skies, and darkness. A little bit of luck additionally helps!
Nonetheless, there are a variety of things that may improve your probabilities:
- Go to in the course of the winter months. Though it’s doable to view the Northern Lights in Finland from late August to late April, the most effective months are December to March as a result of you could have extra dead nights. As well as, you usually tend to have pretty snowy landscapes which can make your northern lights footage look even higher
- Keep a couple of evening. The longer you keep the higher your probabilities of seeing the Northern Lights can be!
- Test the Finnish meteorological web site for exercise that may trigger the northern lights. It’s also possible to obtain apps which notify you of exercise in your space. Moreover, you should utilize the in-room aurora alert service which can notify you of any exercise.
- Take into account a Northern Lights targeted night tour. These excursions will get you away from the lights of the resort for the absolute best viewing situations
Try my information to photographing the northern lights so you’re totally ready must you be fortunate!
Finest Time of 12 months to go to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort?
I’d personally say that winter is the most effective time to go to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort, simply because that’s when there may be more likely to be snow in addition to an opportunity to see the Northern Lights and do a few of the distinctive winter actions in Lapland. It’s also a preferred place for households to come back to have fun Christmas in December.
Nonetheless, there are enjoyable issues to do on this a part of Finland all year long. We’ve got loved visiting Finland in all seasons. lodging is way inexpensive, much less crowded, don’t want to fret about freezing temps and dangerous winter climate, don’t must pack all that winter gear, Midnight Solar, and many others.
Kakslauttanen is open a lot of the yr so you’ll be able to get pleasure from it any time of the yr and every season goes to be very completely different.
Is Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort Price It?
That is after all a troublesome query to reply, as everybody has a distinct opinion of worth.
I very a lot loved my keep at Kakslauttanen and my evening within the glass igloo. It was a novel expertise, in contrast to something I’ve had earlier than, and that positively made it value it for me. From pushing my baggage to my igloo on a toboggan, to mendacity beneath the celebrities in a glass dome surrounded by a winter wonderland, it was actually pretty.
The necessary factor to grasp when it comes to worth is that while the costs are according to a luxurious 5* resort expertise, you’re primarily paying for the expertise and setting relatively than a high-end resort room.
For the glass igloo for instance, you’re paying for the expertise of sleeping in a glass igloo relatively than a luxurious lodging. For the small igloos, for instance, it’s important to go to a separate constructing to make use of a bathe – not one thing you may usually anticipate at a 5* resort!
As well as, privateness just isn’t actually a precedence within the igloos. While there’s a small curtain that hides the mattress space, and the lavatory is behind opaque glass, the igloo is usually designed to give you an unobstructed view out. For those who can see out, then individuals can clearly see in.
There aren’t precisely lots of people round, and with the privateness curtains across the mattress drawn I by no means felt this was a difficulty, however you may really feel in another way.
If you would like a extra luxurious expertise with the igloo choice, then I’d suggest the Kelo Glass igloo as a substitute, as this provides you the consolation of a log cabin with a fire and full rest room, in addition to a pleasant igloo-style space to sleep in.
I appreciated that breakfast and dinner had been included with the keep, as that will increase the worth.
One other factor that’s good about staying at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort is that almost all of winter actions you may wish to do in Finland could be organized on web site, together with husky sledding, reindeer safaris, snowmobiling and ice fishing.
While these are all issues that may be independently organized in Finland, it does imply you are able to do so much on the resort and mainly have your full Finland winter expertise in a single place.
General, I loved my keep at Kakslauttanen. While it’s positively not a finances vacation spot, it’s the type of place you go to for the expertise, and as such we expect it was value it. Simply you should definitely handle your expectations and perceive you’re paying for the general expertise and site, relatively than a high-end luxurious keep.
Options to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort
While Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort was the primary resort to popularise glass igloos in Finland, it’s positively not the one choice it’s important to select from in the present day. Whether or not you’re in search of a inexpensive different or for a glass igloo in a distinct a part of Finland, now we have some prompt choices for you.
There are a number of places throughout Finland the place you’ll be able to keep in a glass igloo or comparable type lodging. Most of those additionally supply different lodging choices in addition to the chance to partake in varied winter actions.
Here’s a record that features nearly all of the glass igloo and comparable type lodges in Finland. These are ordered by proximity to Kakslauttanen, with the closest on the prime.
Along with glass igloos, you may additionally think about staying in a snow resort, ice resort, or snow igloo whereas in Finland. These are seasonal and usually open every year in December and shut on the finish of March or starting of April, relying on snow and temperatures. Some choices to contemplate are the next.
- Arctic Snow Resort – This snow resort is situated in Sinettä outdoors Rovaniemi and provides individually adorned rooms manufactured from ice and snow. On-site amenities embody a snow sauna, an ice bar, and three lakeside eating places.
- SnowHotel – This ice resort is a part of the bigger Snow Fort complicated in Kemi and provides uniquely adorned and sculpted ice rooms. There’s additionally a heated lounge space for company to loosen up in earlier than going to sleep. There’s additionally the Snow Fort, a restaurant, a snow chapel, exhibition, and different facilities on web site. We’ve stayed right here.
- SnowVillage Resort – This snow resort is situated within the city of Kittilä close to Levi. Annually, the SnowVillage decorates itself primarily based on a distinct theme. There are additionally 2 eating places and a pair of bars on web site.
- The Fortunate Ranch, a horse ranch the place a handful of snow igloos are constructed every year in Pyhätunturi inside the Pyhä-Luosto Nationwide Park. This was an incredible expertise with breakfast included and a heated additional room with beds arrange in case company get too chilly in a single day within the igloos.
We’ve stayed and visited most of the snow lodges and ice lodges in Finland, so in case you have any questions, be happy to ask and we’re completely happy to attempt to assist!
And that’s it for our overview of Kakslauttanen Arctic resort. We hope you discovered it helpful! Earlier than you head off and begin reserving your journey, we did simply wish to share with you some extra assets we’ve put collectively on our time in Finland, that will help you along with your planning.
- We’ve got an in depth one-week Finland winter itinerary that will help you plan a tour of the nation
- We’ve got a information to issues to do in Rovaniemi, to provide you extra inspiration for what to do within the city
- We’ve got a complete information to all our favorite winter actions in Finland
- Finland could be very chilly in winter, and the important thing to a superb journey is to pack appropriately! That can assist you out, now we have put collectively an in depth information to what to pack for Finland in winter
- For those who’re in search of extra locations to go to in Finland, see our guides to visiting Porvoo, visiting Oulu and visiting Rauma
- Helsinki is the capital metropolis of Finland, and one we positively suggest you spend a while. See our information to issues to do in Helsinki, a prompt 1 day Helsinki itinerary, and our overview of the Helsinki card that will help you plan your time right here
- One other of our favorite winter places in Finland is Iso Syote. See our information to visiting Iso Syote right here.
- It’s not all about winter – Finland is an superior summer season vacation spot too! See our information to visiting Finland in summer season
- Lastly, should you’re in search of a guidebook, you may checkout the Lonely Planet information to Finland or the Perception Information to Finland
As all the time, we’re completely happy to reply your questions – simply pop them within the feedback part beneath and we’ll get again to you as quickly as we will.